Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tuesday, May 11

This morning started with me making my very short walk to Catherine's for a lift to school. I love spending time with her each morning, she is so kind and it's a great way to start my day. I am really going to miss her when my time is done!

I got to school without knowing which class I was supposed to be spending my day in. The principal was not there and had not left me any notes of what to do, so I ended up asking the Senior Infants teacher if I could crash her classroom for the day. Luckily she said yes. I LOVED her! She was so kind and really wanted me to be involved in the day. She told me I was welcome to come any day, so that felt nice. I really can't express how much one little act of kindness can make someone who is a foreigner feel good. Remember this! When I get home I definitely know I will be as kind and accommodating to anyone I meet who is not from America!

The kids in Senior Infants are the age of Kindergarteners. They were so very cute and polite. They all thanked me when the day was over without even being asked.

We went to the "hall" (gym) for P.E. today. I learned that jumping jacks are called "star jumps" here which makes a lot of sense actually.

Some of the interesting Senior Infant names:
Girls: Zara, Aoife (pronounced Eefa), Johannes, Leela
Boys: Hanni, Kuol, Maxim (pronounced Maxeem), Cyron (pronounced Siren.. speaking of, there has been a house alarm going off outside for an hour now. I'm not exaggerating either. I'm about to go nutty and call the Garda.. which is the police).

When I got home I took a nap.. I have been having a difficult time sleeping at night so I come home from school exhausted. After my nap I woke up and got to Skype with Andrew! Then I got a surprise call from my Indiana class! I was sooo excited because it was totally unplanned:) I really miss the kids so much.

I then packed my clothes and walked in the "lashing rain" to Steph's. I am going to her school to spend the day tomorrow so that will be fun! Right now we're actually really becoming worried about our scheduled flight to Venice on Friday morning. Steph has heard they are stopping flights at 1pm tomorrow due to the volcanic ash. It's such an awful feeling having no idea if:
a) We'll make it to Venice.
b) We'll make it back to Ireland from Venice.
c) We'll make it home.
We tried to purchase travel insurance for our flight to Venice, but apparently you can only buy it if you are from certain countries. Guess what country isn't on that list... you're correct, the United States. If that happens we are each out $260 and then another $60 for the hotel. Thankfully the hotel would only make us pay for one of the nights if we didn't end up getting there.

Random things:
-The word "keen" is used very often here. "I am not keen on the idea.. she's not keen on maths.. I am keen with technology..."
-Tic tac toe is called "noughts and crosses"
-I have learned that people here say "your man" and "your woman" here when referring to random people. It's hard to explain, but here are some examples:
"I was in line at the store and your man was stepping on the back of my heels." ---> This would mean, "I wan in line at the store and the guy behind me in line kept stepping on the back of my heels."
OR
"I threw my back out, Hayley hurt her ankle, and your woman was in the bathroom puking." ---> Nola said this to someone the other day.. she was referring to Anna, her daughter who was sitting right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment