Friday, May 7, 2010

Friday, May 7

Sorry I didn't get around to blogging yesterday. Steph and I went into Dublin to walk around and shop so I was too tired by the time I got home.

I subbed in 5th class yesterday. The day went just fine. I have had a pretty bad cough yesterday so two teachers have given me Strepsils which are a medicated cough drop. One teacher actually gave me her whole pack of them to take home. Little things like this make me feel so good here because it's hard to be away from home where I am more independent and can do things like go to Wal-Mart to get my own cough drops when I am sick.

The class learned about the Renaissance today. Don't even go to Ireland and try to pronounce Renaissance to a bunch of 10-year-olds without thinking you're going to be corrected. "Miss King, it's Re-NAY-saunce!" A lot of times when they correct me they honestly think I have never heard the word before.

I kept saying Dollars instead of Euros again today. Surprise!

Today a boy from fourth class brought me a Chips Ahoy that he got from his mom. She was stuck in New York a few weeks ago when the volcano first erupted... he thought it would make me feel more at home to have a cookie from America. He wrapped it up in a paper towel and saved it for me. How precious.

Today the kids were asking me what my favorite food was. I told them how much I miss Mexican food! I asked them where the heck all the Mexican restaurants were and they didn't know of any nearby, EXCEPT one girl whose family is actually Mexican! She said her parents actually make and sell Mexican food on Saturday mornings in Temple Bar (which is an area in Dublin). You better believe Steph and I are headed there TOMORROW!

Today has been a fine day.. nice and relaxing actually.

School was very sad today. I was subbing in 5th class and we found out one of the 6th class girl's mother died unexpectedly last night. The news was announced during assembly. All the kids in the school are very close to one another because it's so small, so it was a hard day for all. Needless to say, we didn't get a whole lot done in class, but we managed to get through it.

A funny story: Today I was reading a story to them as they were following along in their books. The word "route" came up, and I pronounced it like I normally do- "rout." All the sudden every student was either laughing, or saying "it's ROOT!!! Not ROUT!!" They honestly thought that I, their American teacher, didn't know the word "route" and had said it wrong. I started laughing hysterically at their reaction, the teacher assistant was laughing too, and before I knew it the class was quite out of control. I had to explain to them that people pronounce it both ways in the States, and that I actually was familiar with the word. It was pretty funny. In the back of my mind I am always wondering when I will say the next thing that will set the class off. I seem to do it at least once a day.

There was a bake sale at the school today. I didn't have my money and THREE students AND two teachers asked if I wanted anything. I just thought that was really sweet; fifth class students were noticing that I wasn't buying anything and they offered to buy me something. I refused their offers because I didn't want my students buying me sweets, but I found a cupcake on my desk later in the day from an anonymous students. I love them.

This afternoon I made a happy mistake after school- I missed the bus! The weather was beautiful and I enjoyed the hour-long walk home. I did some laundry and am hanging out with Hayley now. Stephanie is doing her volunteering for IU tonight so I don't have anything to do. I have promised myself though not to be depressed that all my friends are getting ready to graduate tomorrow. I must remember that I am in Ireland and am going to Venice next weekend even if I am missing my last semester at IU and graduation with all my friends.

We had ice cream sandwiches for dessert tonight. Hayley just came home and asked me what she should eat. I told her to eat an ice cream sandwich and she had a puzzled look on her face. She said, "Ice cream with bread?" I tried to explain to her that it was ice cream inside of cookie/biscuit things. She said, "You mean chocolate wafers?" Once I said yes and cleared up what I was talking about she immediately ran downstairs for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment